Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Rejection is Not the End

Image by Angela Engel via Flickr
 
Today, I had planned to share my tips for a query letter that worked for me. Instead, I've decided to share the news I received yesterday concerning my long-awaited rejection. Looks like my predictions were right, and my first full request was rejected after a very long seven months and nine days. Honestly, I didn't expect a response at all, so I'm thankful they took the time to do so. Also unexpected, I was more bummed than I thought I would be. Even though I knew I didn't send my best work, and that I probably would've rejected it too if I were in their shoes, deep down, there was still a small glimmer of hope.
 
No one wants to be rejected. No matter how nicely rejection is communicated, it never seems to translate positively. No, means no. 'We have decided to pass on your manuscript,' translates to 'We don't like it.' I think I stared at the email for a solid five minutes, reading the two short lines over and over again, allowing the news to sink in. Now that I've had time to digest it, I'm ready to move forward. The more I thought about it I realized, it's just one. One person made the decision to reject my work. One person from one agency in one town and one state from one teeny tiny section of this whole big world, said no. Using this concept, even 10 rejections don't seem like the end. I think I'll get past it.
 
How was your first rejection communicated to you? How did you feel about it? Did it seem like the end? What concept helped you to move forward?


No comments:

Post a Comment