Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Update - Readying my Manuscript for Re-submission

Image by Neil Moralee via Flickr

Have you ever completed something, something significant, only to find out that you had to start all over again. That's pretty much what happened to me with my current manuscript. After completing an edit for an agent in order to fit within the guidelines of a particular book series, I was told the book series was ending.

If you are a fan of inspirational romance, then you've probably heard of Heartsong Presents.

For the edit, I only had to add about 3,000 words to my manuscript, and I was more than happy to do it. The idea that my story, which I put my heart into, could have the opportunity to be picked for this series was very exciting. I'll admit, I was a little more than crushed to find out the news. Nonetheless, I wasn't about to give up on my dream to be published. I responded to the agent the only way that I felt I should.

"I understand. Thank you for the opportunity."

At first, it felt like the end of all opportunities for this story. Even though I knew this wasn't true, after having really high hopes for something, news like that was hard to take.

Thankfully, the agent wasn't ready to let me go. I was asked to edit my manuscript once again, but this time, for another series. As I mentioned in a previous post, this required a 20,000-word addition to my story. Although I was extremely thankful for the opportunity, I knew this was going to be challenging for me. Nonetheless, I began the edit - determined to make my story even better than before.

It's been nearly four months, and I'm happy to report, I have finally completed the large addition. As the cliche` goes, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now, working to polish it for re-submission, I am so happy with the end result. The story is much more developed, and, since I had originally planned to continue this story with subsequent books, I feel a sense of closure.

My goal is to resubmit the manuscript on Monday. Literary agents are very busy folks, and must take their current clients with the highest priority, so I don't expect a quick response. However, I will be sure to keep you posted on the outcome of this exciting opportunity - good or bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment