Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Writing Inspirational Romance

Image by Tom via Flickr


What is it about romance novels that attract readers (and when I say romance, I don’t mean erotica)? There’s something about that moment when one attractive set of eyes meet another, the description of that first accidental (or purposely) grazing of two elbows or shoulders, or – ah – the first kiss – delicate, a little passionate, and a little clumsy. It’s all about the newness of a relationship – those moments, days, and weeks leading up to the confession of those three little words, I love you.
I will admit, I’m a fan. I love reading and writing romance; however, I think it’s important to understand the purpose readers (including myself) have for enjoying them. I will begin by saying that I don’t enjoy reading just any romance novel. My love is for inspirational romance. It is one thing for a man and woman to fall in love and have a relationship under their own terms, but completely another when God is guiding the relationship.
With that said, I want to point out how important is it to make that distinction when you set out to write an inspirational romance. Your reader is most certainly looking for the passion between your two characters, but they’re looking for something more – it’s called encouragement. The message surrounding the romance is, in my opinion, just as important (probably more important) to be successful in this sub-genre. There are a few things the writer should ask themselves.
·    What positive message of encouragement am I sending? Are you trying to send a message of faith or hope? Maybe you want your reader to know they aren’t alone. Perhaps you want to outline the importance of being patient.
·    How does this encouraging message relate to Biblical or Christian principles? What scriptures in the Bible support your encouraging message?
·    Are my characters' decisions and behavior aligning with Christian values? If your characters are Christians, they should act like Christians.
My intention was not to put a damper on the romance, which I believe is a very important part of the story. After all, it’s called inspirational romance for a reason. On the other hand, just because you write romance, it doesn’t mean that all fans of romance will enjoy your story. I believe my point is, you shouldn’t try to cater your inspirational romance to everyone. This sub-genre, I believe, has a divine purpose. Straying from that might make an agent question your ability to deliver. Instead, focus on a specific audience with a strong and clear, encouraging message.
Do you enjoy reading or writing romance? Why do you enjoying reading it? Is there a particular type of romance you prefer? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment