Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Secret to Being a Productive Writer

Image by ROBEIGHTYSEVENS via Flickr


I dream of an office just for me and my writing. One lined with books from floor to ceiling and a large bay window to my right, overlooking the flower garden. On my large mahogany desk would be my 18" laptop (my eyesight is starting to fail), a steaming hot cup of Joe, and a dainty dish filled with Hershey kisses. Yes, in that setting I could pump out best-selling novels like nobody's business. I could be so imaginative that writer's block would never even enter the domains of my brain. Yeah...wouldn't that be nice.

Well, in the meantime, my 15" laptop and desk with a view will have to remain in my living room overlooking the screened in porch. My books will have to remain crowded on my one large bookshelf in my bedroom, spilling onto the floor. And I'll have to settle for coffee without chocolate because Hershey kisses last about two seconds in this house.

I believe it is important to have a peaceful place to write that's quiet and flutter free. And although I would love to have the office described above, I don't think that is what is necessary to produce great writing. I think sometimes writers (including myself) are guilty of placing blame on the people or things around them for their own lack of creativity and effort. I'm not complaining when I say my desk is in the loudest room of my house during the day. If I tried writing at 10:00 a.m. or 3:00 p.m., I might as well just type with my toes because my writing would be worthless by the time I got finished. Life is busy in my house - probably yours too - but instead of blaming factors that are out of my control, it makes more sense to find a solution that will work.

Lately, that solution has been getting up with the chickens when my living room is dim and quiet. While everyone else is dreaming, I've got my ears plugged with inspiring music and a good dose of caffeine within arm's reach. For now, that seems to be working for me. Later, I may need to adjust to something else, but ultimately I understand that in order to reach my writing goals, I have to find a way to make it work. That, I believe, is the sort of determination that produces great writing. I'm sure many of the great writers before my time didn't have my dream writing space or even the ideal environment to write in. I'm also sure that life happened to them just as often as anyone else. So, what was their secret?

I'm guessing, passion and perseverance.

Anyway, it's high time to stop blaming anyone but yours truly for the lack of productivity. I have dreams, and somehow I'll find a way if I want to accomplish them.

What is your secret to being a productive writer in the midst of life's happenings? Where and when do you write? What is your dream writing space?


No comments:

Post a Comment