Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Special Thanks to The Pioneer Woman!


Image by litlnemo via Flickr
Being a good writer is based on many things including knowledge and wisdom of the craft, but in my opinion, our experiences are really what set each writer apart. With that said, I'll share one of my experiences with you about a topic that I love almost as much as writing - cooking.

Before I was blessed to work out of my home office (a corner in my master bedroom), I spent two hours on the road each day driving to work. This meant getting home after six o'clock, and being too tired to get creative in the kitchen. Who am I kidding? I was too tired to walk into the kitchen. Needless to say, my family ate a lot of takeout and processed meals.

Did you know that there are 32 different types of Hamburger Helper!?

When I became pregnant with my daughter, I feared having to leave my newborn in someone else's care for 10+ hours a day. I wanted to raise her! Thankfully, I was able to make arrangements with my boss to work from home full-time.

To all the mothers out there everywhere who didn't have this choice...my heart goes out to you.

Suddenly, I had time to cook a meal that hadn't been previously frozen or dehydrated. This doesn't mean I began whipping up gourmet meals though. I had never been very savvy in the kitchen, so I did what most of us do when we're looking for inspiration. I opened up the cabinet, pulled out a cookbook, and blew off the dust. The only problem was, I didn't have half the ingredients for any of the recipes that didn't look too intimidating.

What the heck is dill? Does this have something to do with a pickle? I have pickles!

Yeah, it was sad.

I tried many different recipes from my cookbooks and online, but there were few that spoke to me. I still didn't feel comfortable in the kitchen, and shopping for those mystery ingredients was frustrating and expensive. I wanted to cook "normal food," and still impress my family.

I had caught a glimpse of a few episodes of The Pioneer Woman before, but it was one in particular that really got my attention. She was making Fettuccine Alfredo, and I was completely floored that the sauce of one of my most favorite Italian dishes was made from only three main ingredients!

I still can't believe it... If you don't believe it either, you can find her recipe here.

This simple recipe gave me confidence in the kitchen, and I became an instant Ree Drummond fan. Along the way, I have learned so much from her creative, yet simple, cooking style. I have used so many of her recipes that my son will say, "Hey, this is good! Is this a Pioneer Woman recipe?"

In addition, I love writing historical fiction, so this knowledge has come in handy. I'm pretty sure our great grand mothers never cooked Hamburger Helper.

So, a special thanks to you Mrs. Drummond for opening my eyes to the simplicity of cooking with fresh ingredients, and the value of a good iron skillet. Not to mention, the understanding that butter spread and stick butter are not equals.

My family thanks you too!



No comments:

Post a Comment