Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Can Fantasy Writing be too Imaginary?

Image by Nick Kenrick via Flickr

Writing in the fantasy genre can be very liberating. By definition, fantasy means imagining things that are impossible or improbable. When an entire story can be based on things that are only of the imagination, there are endless possibilities for creative ideas. I am having a lot of fun writing my YA high fantasy. It’s mystical and magical with elements of suspense and adventure – even a little romance. I love that there are no rules or limits as to the creative details that I can bring the reader. However, I am finding that you have to be careful how imaginary you get.

The story still needs to make sense to the reader. For example, it’s okay to call a tree a tree – isn’t it? I’m reading a fantasy novel right now (author will remain anonymous) that is really frustrating me. So many things are referenced with a made-up name/language, and sometimes I’m reading the entire chapter before I finally figure out what the words are referencing. I am not an expert fantasy writer, but this seems a little extreme. I don’t want my reader to be so distracted by the language that they can’t enjoy the story.

Those of you out there who read or write fantasy, what are your thoughts on the subject? Is it okay to call a tree a tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment